• Welcome to the IGOTAJEEP Community, the Official Home of the Jeep! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

4bt build.

4btjeep

Reaction score
ok so this is with the start of the project. 1997 grand cherokee with the 4.0 high output in it. (don't think it came like that) but its what i got.

plan 3:55 or 3:08 rears 4bt cummins 5spd manual trans and high 20's mpg

The start

(will not allow for pic upload)

Attachments

• 1996-98_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_4x4.jpg
    1996-98_Jeep_Grand_Cherokee_4x4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 97
I am using a 5 spd because I have one around, and I have issues driving an automatic. I have a 6spd but i am saving that for a truck that will be pulling a trailer more. both my current trucks have a 5spd and i have no issues unless pulling. In the jeep, I won't be pulling, and it is a considerably lighter vehicle so i am using that.

Until I got this truck all my other vehicles have been manual. I have been driving big trucks for the last 8 years for a living, so I kinda like not having to row the gears. Several of the trucks I have driven had 2 transmissions, 15spd main and 4spd auxiliary.

I wanted to do a 2spd rear on my fummins.

well i got the parts, never did it dad killed it he is hell bent on fixin' it

he fixes it, he can keep it, i don't want a half assed repair i am constently fixing again, and its a bit of a tetanus bucket. the rust is beginning to accelerate its assault upon the truck. i give it stage 2 cancer as of the moment. Terminal if not surgically removed IMMEDIATELY! If not, it will be too far gone. 2 cab mounts rusted out already plus other

Thats why dads got the fummins now. he killed it, he wants to fix it, and I had some fun with her. he can take on the Cancer issue there. I was going to learn more from it, find a rust free truck and do it again!

here is your update
and as far as I have gotten in the past couple months followed a change of plans and am using an allison auto i obtained at work today attached to another 4BT ($750) i aint going to complain about it. i have to find a tfer case for it and make driveshafts, but not the end of the world.

and here Trans and tfer case have been dropped since.

The combo had 10k miles on trans rebuild, and 160k on the motor. was in a grummen bread truck

Can't wait to see the proper color of smoke come outa that thing, what it should have been from the factory!

I will actually stick to not rolling coal with it. I have 2 diesels that do not roll coal at all, and still hold their own pulling. The jeep is all about economy, so coal=unburnt fuel= failure I shall not fail! lol I may tune it to roll some for a few pictures and such, but for the most part want to keep it kinda low power as boxing the frame is not in the plans as of the moment. I may become in the plans if it flexes too much.

my current 2 only do, when its cold. though the 97, will roll some soon, kinda hard to prevent with some of the upgrades for it