• Welcome to the IGOTAJEEP Community, the Official Home of the Jeep! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Oil

cbush314

Reaction score
So I am going to change my oil today and I was doing some thinking on what oil I should use. I am pretty loyal to Valvoline and normally use full synthetic in everything I have owned. But this Jeep, come to find out, has bad main seals. When I had synthetic in it, it would slightly drip. That being said, I switched over to the MaxLife synthetic Blend. Since I have made the switch it doesn't drip. But My question is has anyone ever used Rotella in their Jeeps or anything else? They have a synthetic blend, but I can only find it in a gallon. But they sell their conventional oil in gallons and quarts. I have heard people will use Rotella for first run engines and because of its the oils high zinc content, its good for engine break in. What is your advice here?

I have only ever used Amsoil for everything, so I'm of no help to you.

I have always run NAPA special. Which is valvoline from what I understand.

So I changed my oil with Valvoline Maxlife. It calls for 5w20 but I figured it would be ok to run 10w30... I fired it up and the oil pressure went up, and it started to know or tick. It ran for about 10 minutes and it just knocked and ticked... WTF!

year and milage?

2001, 167000. It stopped after I drove it for like 15 miles. But I was pissed. I would have never guessed that changing the weight a little would have been such a big deal.