• Welcome to the IGOTAJEEP Community, the Official Home of the Jeep! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

Rubicons only?

Pino

Reaction score
About a dozen Rubi owners have told me a rubicon is the only way to go when getting a jeep. Every sport owner upgrades to a rubi anyways why not skip the upgrade process. Is this true? It's got me thinking I should've dug deeper in my pocket for a Rubicon?!?!

They are nice, but do cost more money.

The Rubicon does have features that the sport does not have and yes it is an upgrade, but with upgrades comes the cost. There is nothing wrong with staying in your budget and being happy with what you got. Do you even miss the features the Rubicon provides? Would you use the features if you had them? I know several people that have the Rubicon and most of the features are not used, but they always say better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I reply if that makes or breaks the vehicle then jeep better figure something else out. Usually do not get a reply for that.

Depending on your location and use, it can be a benefit or just wasted money.

In Michigan, home of snow, ice, and salted roads the lockers are undesirable. Granted, you do have use of the 4WD without them, but they don't help you on the road. If you are actively off road here, then they can benefit you in those situations. Similar with the low range - some will find it too low as there aren't many "crawling" opportunities. If you are trail riding low seems too low, and high is too high.

For some, buying the sport and spending the difference in a small lift and more capable tires is more enjoyable on a daily basis than the added cost of the Rubicon package plus whatever changes the owner wants to make.

What can happen, and does happen to a lot us is we start with one level of ability and use and grow over time. The first jeep goes from daily driver and weekend wheeler to harder trails and more challenging use. As the knowledge and confidence grows, the more we want the Jeep to do. More lift, bigger tires, stronger protection, recovery gear.... changes happen

Part of owning a Jeep is the enjoyment of building it to your tastes.

If you are exploring the Jeep world, camping and other light off road use I personally wouldn't spend the extra. If you already know you enjoy the off road world and are looking for a vehicle to serve that purpose it may be worth the investment up front.

Whichever you choose, Jeep on & Enjoy