• Welcome to the IGOTAJEEP Community, the Official Home of the Jeep! Sign up for a (FREE) account today!

No crank no start

Offroad729

Reaction score
I have a 94 jeep grand Cherokee 5.2L. It wont crank. Checked starter and battery both are good. What would cause it to have a no crank no start. Thanks

How did you check the starter?

I can jump the start solenoid and it will crank. Has a newer starter in it.

So it cranks over, but won't fire up?

When I turn the key in the ignition to start it and does nothing, no crank no start.

That's strange. :confused:

Does it make a clicking noise when you turn the key on. Like does the starter click?

When key is turn to run position I dont here the starter click. In the dash voltage reads 9v and doesnt move.

Take a set of jumper cables or a jump box and put + right onto the starter from the battery.

You did this correct, and it will start?

How old is the starter?

A month old. Removed it and had it exchange for a new one

Oh boy. :tard:

We have seen this before. Even though your jumping it we personally think it could be bad some how. At the shop last month we got 3 bad. All made in Mexico.

Starter is good, swapped it into a buddies jeep for the heck of it and works just fine.

Starter is good, swapped it into a buddies jeep for the heck of it and works just fine.

Good deal. Glad that's out of the way.

Let us check some data and get back to you.

when you jumped the started, did it start and run? If it did I would check the neutral safety switch, or possibly ignition switch on the column...

Ign power from ignition switch to the starter had an op3n circuit. Ran a wire over lay and put a toggle switch in. Runs now

Ign power from ignition switch to the starter had an op3n circuit. Ran a wire over lay and put a toggle switch in. Runs now

Good deal. :)